Snapper, Trevally, Sweep
about 45 minutes
- 1 1/2 kg whole fish cleaned (gill and guts removed, but head intact)
- 2 1/2 litres of water
- 2 sticks celery, sliced
- 2 medium sized onions, sliced
- 2 medium sized carrots, sliced
- 1 teaspoon cracked peppercorns
- 1/2 bottle dry white wine (other half to drink while cooking !!)
A good fish stock is a fairly simple thing to make, but the ingredients must be incredibly fresh and sweet to make a stock that will form the basis for fish soups and sauces.
Bring all the ingredients to rapid boil and remove any scum that appears on the surface. Boil for 15 minutes, and do not boil for longer than this, as a bitterness will start to exude from the fish bones. Strain the stock, return the liquid to the pot and bring to simmer.
When the reserved meat has cooled enough to handle, separate the flesh from the bones and return the flesh to the liquid stock. Continue to simmer until the liquid has been reduced by half. Strain and refrigerate or freeze until required. Do not season with salt or pepper at this stage.
| Fishing Tip :
|Why not contact fishSA.com about your Fishing Tip|